Monday 16 March 2015

SAVAGE BEAUTY


Lee Alexander McQueen. A name that everybody's heard but a person and designer that I knew nothing about.

Until Saturday that was when I attended the opening day of the absolutely breathtakingly incredible Savage Beauty exhibition currently showing at the V&A Museum in London.

Curated by Claire Wilcox and brought over from New York, the exhibition was the most amazing one I'd ever seen.

Every room was dedicated to a different iconic collection with the decor and layout of each space reflecting the nature of the clothing. It was mind-blowing and made me realise what an absolute creative genius McQueen really was. It was phenomenal that every collection in those five odd rooms had been thought up by the same mind. If only I could have a portion of that imagination!

The exhibition is running from 14th March - 2nd August and I couldn't recommend it more strongly. 

No photos were allowed but the above picture is one of my favourite portraits taken of him and I can't really explain why. Maybe it's the cigarette in the skull's mouth? Or the wistful, nonchalant look in his eye.

McQueen changed the face of fashion for good and this exhibition is the powerful representation of a life worth recording.

"Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution"

Lee Alexander McQueen
Photographer by Tim Walker, London 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment